Wednesday 23 October 2013


Book Review: 
The Power Trip by Jackie Collins 

A Russian billionaire and his state of the art yacht. His beautiful and sexy supermodel girlfriend. And five dynamic, powerful and famous couples invited on the yacht's maiden voyage. A senator and his lovely but unhappy wife. A very attractive movie star and his needy ex-waitress girlfriend. A famous black footballer and his interior designer wife. A male Latin singing sensation and his older English boyfriend. And a maverick writer with his Asian journalist female friend. Could this be the trip of a lifetime? Or a trip from hell? Whatever happens on the high seas doesn't necessarily stay there. The Power Trip - take it if you dare.


My mum has always been a huge fan of Jackie Collins and has been telling me to read one of her books for years, so I thought I would bite the bullet and go for it. 

The first section of the book 'The Invitation' introduces the 12 main characters in the book. The Russian Billionaire, Aleksandr Kasianenko, his supermodel girlfriend Bianca and the 5 couples about to board the trip of a lifetime. When I started to read I must say I got rather confused, all these different characters, their life stories, I was in such a muddle. How was I going to remember who was who?! Having to keep recapping what I had already read to remind myself was getting a bit tedious but I knew I had to stick with it and I was right, it soon became very easy to get to know all the individuals and the secrets among them. The second section of the book 'The Trip' is when the adventure gets underway. The ship sets sail with all its guests but none of them know what’s waiting for them just around the corner....and I don't want to spoil it for you so I shall stop there!

I am glad that I read the book but it isn't one of my favourites. Maybe because it wasn't the typical 'Chick Lit' I usually enjoy reading and it didn't contain any humour. The characters were all too 'much' for me. I like to relate to the characters I am reading about or at least like them, this didn't happen for me when reading this book. I just found myself getting annoyed by how selfish and self-centered they all were. I also found the story was quite long drawn in the middle; it seemed to take a while to get to the action. Having said that, the last part of the story I did find very gripping and at this point had to keep reading until the end.

Overall I would rate the book as a 6/10, a Jam Doughnut in the Novel Cafe. I enjoyed it but it was nothing special.




No comments:

Post a Comment